I’ve included this page on my site for those who’ve purchased my ebook on propagation and want to see other things included.
Note: This ebook refers to garden plants and not houseplants.
If you ask me why your seeds didn’t germinate, I’d probably guess:
- The number one cause of seed failure is being buried too deeply.
- The number two cause for most seed or cuttings is having the wrong soil temperature.
So if you were to ask me why your seed didn’t germinate, or your plants didn’t root, those would be my first two guesses.
- My other guess is if the seed is old – it’s dead.
If you ask me why your plants are spindly, I’d have to say
- You don’t have enough light for them – or if you do have grow lights, they’re too high above the seedlings.
- You are growing them too warm
- You are not feeding them properly
If you ask why your seedlings keeled over and died, I’d definitely say
- They were too cold
- They were overwatered
- There wasn’t enough air circulating around them
How To Water Seedlings
If you ask why green algae is growing on your seedling trays?
- I’ll say overwatering
And when you ask about the tiny flies hovering around your plants
I’ll tell you they’re called fungus gnats and they’re eating the algae from overwatering. Their larvae are eating your tender plant roots
And you want to hang yellow sticky tags over your seedling trays to capture the adults before they lay eggs – as the larvae can damage tender roots
Why Didn’t My Cuttings Root?
- The cuttings were taken at the wrong time and the plant tissue wasn’t soft enough
- The soil wasn’t warm enough
- The cuttings were allowed to lose too much moisture from their leaves. Use an anti-desiccant to stop this
Don’t Make These Common Seed Starting Mistakes
Plant Propagation Cutting Methods
Note: for some unknown reason, (brain slippage on that day) I referred to soilless mix as “artificial soil”. Soilless mix is the correct term and (what can I say?) some days are not meant for getting out of bed…. Turns out I did it more than once too…. sigh…. 🙂