I’ve grown regular Heliotrope before but not this particular hybrid so I’m looking forward to the growth rates and growth habits.
Note to readers. This is a plant I purchased from a local garden center for trial purposes.
How To Grow
- Sunshine: This is a full sun plant
- Height: 24-30 inches tall
- Hardiness: It’s an annual unless you pack it up and move it to Florida.
- Use: this is a fairly tall annual so it’s great for main flower beds and if you need something in the middle of large containers.
- Width apart: the tags recommend 10-inches but this seems narrow to me. I’ve gone with the 10-inches (25cm) for the trials.
Special Features Of Heliotrope
This is a heat tolerant annual that takes a large amount of abuse and dry conditions. Having said that, if you do cut it off water it will slow down blooming but it will survive better than some other annuals.
It is usually not necessary to deadhead these plants although heavier blooming plants will look better with some regular maintenance.
It takes regular feeding if you want to keep the blooms coming along.
Well worth growing – I’ll use this plant again. 🙂